2012年2月19日日曜日

Babies Are Us Store

babies are us store

Babies R Us: A Necessary Evil?

Happy Baby

Every mother considers Babies R Us a necessary evil.  Whether its our first time in because we are pregnant for the first time, or we are purchasing a shower gift, it's not an easy place to shop.  Nothing about them is easy. In fact, to all who are expecting, I say run away.

I registered at Babies R Us.  I remember going into the store the first time.  Everyone was very jolly and happy when they found out I came into register.  I was sat down, given all sorts of coupons and information.  Then, we were turned loose in the store.  We had no idea where to start.  I recall trying to figure out how the infant seats work-thinking that I would never figure them out.  (BTW, figuring it out took all of 3 tries.  Now I am a pro.  I can do it in my sleep).  Hint:  New parents are confused and overwhelmed.  Throw them a bone and help them out without them asking.  


Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes
Learn more

What was so hard about registering?  I just know I couldn't register in the store, because I had to look at ratings side by side with the product online.  I also knew that getting everything on that list was good for Babies R Us, but not necessarily needed by every new mother.  So, I freaked out and came home. I sat on the couch, got a subscription to Consumer Reports, and enlisted my sister-in-law to weed out what I didn't need (assuming I ever got done registering).  I began researching.  Babies R Us ratings, Amazon.com ratings, Consumer Reports ratings.  And, I registered.  The registration process online was painfully slow.  PAINFULLY.  Hint:  Speed up the process, and allow for side by side comparisons within the site, and other review sites.  Heck, recommend review sites.  Weight what is necessary vs. what is a luxury.

I soon started getting the coupons (I still get them)I love Babies R Us coupons.  They remind me of the Happy Fun Ball Saturday Night Live Spoof:


Light Blue Replicase Hard Crystal Air Jacket Case for AT&T iPhone 4 4G 16GB 32GB GSM
Learn more

Except in the case of the coupons, there are only like one or two things in the store that you can buy once you get through all of the restrictions.  One of my favorite Babies R Us coupon restrictions?  Cannot be used for a toy.  WHAT? Seriously, Google "annoying babies r us coupon" and see what comes up.  Hint:  Stop putting so many restrictions on the coupons. Yeah, I know, the manufacturers have restrictions that they put on you. So, why not label things in the store as being "coupon friendly." At least change the wording. 

Anyway, a relative was having a shower this weekend.  I discovered that you can purchase an item from the registry online from the Babies R Us site, and then pick it up in the store.  Sounds good…but I was in a rush, and didn't want to depend on the staff at the store to have the item ready when I walked in 20 minutes later. So, I wrote down what I needed and ran out to get the item on the way to the shower.  Hint:  Make it obvious to your customer how long it takes for the item you purchased to be ready at the register.

Store was packed.  The line was long to the registry kiosk.  There were no associates visible on the floor (except at registry, furniture, customer service/ cash registers).  While that seems like the most logical place for staff, in a baby store, its not good enough.  Hint:  You need staff on the floor that is knowledgeable about products.  Staff that can explain the differences between products confidently. I would suggest having iPads in the stores near the car seats, strollers and furniture.  Let people look up reviews themselves while they are in the store.  Maybe give staff smartphones to look up information on products if they don't know the answer.


I moved around the store trying to find the carriers (hard to find things in the darn store).  After I found the baby carriers, I went to customer service to ask if they had  wrapping paper…or gift bags.  The woman pointed me in the direction.  Hint:  Walk me to the item.  Maybe you'll uncover another need and sell me something I hadn't planned on.  Plus, it's just good customer service.


Over I went, got what I needed and came back to get in line.  Then it was which line.  As every mom I know can attest to…the lines move slower than molasses in winter at Babies R Us.  I have no idea why.  And I have no idea why Babies R Us doesn't address it. Pregnant moms have to pee; Mothers trying to keep their kids in line may have little patience; Dads run in with their spouses and kids in the car; people like me purchasing that last minute gift; The impromptu stop on the way home from the delivery room for that one thing that you didn't know you needed, but now you do; DINKS having to buy presents for friends with kids freak out with all of the kiddy stuff around.  People in line at Babies R Us need the line to move at warp speed.  Hint:  Open more lanes (it's a question on your customer satisfaction survey).  Do what Costco does, and scan my items so when its my turn, I just have to pay.  Even Chick-Fil-A rocks the drive thru with people standing outside taking orders as people approach, so they don't have to wait for the actual attendent.

The woman who checked me out was friendly and happy.  I must say, she was probably the most friendly associate I have encountered in a couple of years.  I almost wrote, "Give that woman a raise Babies R Us," except that should be part of the job and expectation.

I think Babies R Us has gotten…lazy? Is the competitive landscape has been sparse.  I don't see how it can be. My mommy friends tell me they buy from Amazon.  Babies R Us, like Best Buy, is Amazon.com's showroom.  Go in to look, touch and feel. But buy from anywhere but Babies R Us.


It might be time for Babies R Us to revamp their customer satisfaction program. I can't imagine how many responses you get.  45+ questions. Questions were duplicated (Yeah, it appears Babies R Us uses the NPS rating system).  What  mom do you know has that kind of time?  I also noticed you have a text for deals program.  Maybe its time to look for a (insert shameless promotion for MeasureCP here) text messaging customer feedback and loyalty program instead.

Related articles



These are our most popular posts: babies are us store

Babies R Us/Toys R Us Great Trade-In Event (Ends 2/20)

You do not need a receipt to trade-in a used item, and the item does not need to have been purchased at a Babies R Us or Toys R Us store. You can bring back multiple items and receive one 25% discount for each item ... read more

Babies "R" Us-Great Trade-In Event

You can receive 25% off any new childrens product by trading-in any used product in any Babies"R"Us store location. That means you can get 25% off any new Graco crib, car seat, bassinet, stroller, travel system, playard, ... read more

Giveaway: $25 Gift Certificate from Baby Bunz Co + One Copy of ...

We began our business over 25 years ago, and were one of the first companies to offer cloth diapering supplies and natural baby products by catalog and later online store. Our experience over the many years has helped us ... read more

Toys "R" Us, Inc. Great Trade-In Event « First Candle

Since the first "Great Trade-In" event, approximately 600000 used and potentially unsafe baby products have been removed from circulation and turned in at "R"Us® stores nationwide. Some traded-in items were missing parts ... read more

Related Posts



0 コメント:

コメントを投稿